Wednesday, September 12, 2012

From Hell's Gate and Back

Last weekend was our first group weekend out together since the weekend prior our subgroup of five ladies went to up Mt Kenya while others enjoyed a short hike and safari in Aberdare National Park.

The fun started with our ride in our rented matatu. As I mentioned in my earlier blog, it's the public transportation in Kenya. All 14 of us (plus the driver and our luggage/backpacks) fit in the matatu. It was a very intimate ride =)

Intimate ride in the matatu

First stop was the Equator in Nanyuki as the rest of the team have not seen it yet. As we did the previous week prior to the climb to Mt Kenya, the group had the demonstration of the Coriolis Effect and the strong persuasion of the shop owners to stop/shop in their shops. 
The guys (Pinaki and Jit) jumping in the equator


Vivian and I tried, but with our shorter legs, we cannot outjump the guys

Second stop was Hell's Gate National Park. We planned to get there by lunch time, but since our earlier plan on going there straight from the Equator didn't work, we didn't arrive till after 2 PM. We cannot take the direct route from the Equator, so we had to go back to Nyeri which adds two more hours to our travel time. Since we arrived very late, we decided to forego lunch (which wasn't a good idea).

The group decided to do a biking safari. My close friends know that I just recently learned how to ride a bike, and I'm so glad that I learned to bike before this trip as I couldn't imagine walking as the rest of the group biked. Also, it would be a very LONG walk. It still wasn't easy for me as I've only done my biking on a paved road prior to this trip =)  Due to the bike demand and the lateness of our arrival, most of the bikes we got are somewhat defective - no brakes, not much seat padding, problems with the pedals, etc. I actually ended up with a BMX bike as it was the only smaller bikes left. It was very small which made it easier for me to control it. However, since the wheels are smaller compared to the rest of other bikes, I had to pedal twice as more =( 

Nice shot of the group biking in Hells Gate. You can't see me, but I'm the one in pink trailing behind.
During the ride to Hell's Gate Gorge, we were able to see zebras, gazelles and giraffes. It was amazing to be so close to them. Fortunately, hyenas are the only predators in Hell's Gate, and hyenas don't come out till later in the day.
Stopping to get a picture with the zebras

Fishers Tower - a popular rock climbing area in Hell's Gate

Vivian blending in with the zebras

Zebras and gazelles

Mama and baby giraffes

At the end, we had to leave our bikes and hike down the Hell's Gate Gorge where we visited the Devil's View and a few hot springs. As we hike down, we also learned that a group of young men died due to flash flood just a few months ago, so we didn't really stay down that long in the gorge after learning that story.


One of the baboons near the Hell's Gate Gorge


Down the gorge

Group pic


You can see these signs around the Hell's Gate Gorge. It initially looked weird until we learned that there can be flash floods down the gorge.
One of the hot springs in the gorge

Taken from Devil's View in Hell's Gate Gorge

 
 After a short hike, we had to go back in our bikes. By this time, most of us are tired and hungry (remember we didn't have any lunch!). I knew I would be one of the slower ones with my small BMX bike. However, even with my small bike and being new to biking, I beat the boys (which may not be a big feat as the boys in the group are not into physical activities and most of them smoke). I got in before any of them. My goal was not to be the last one in =)

As we return back, we saw more animals - African buffaloes (one of the big fives) and a family of baboons. It was so dark toward the end that I cannot get a good picture of the baboons. Some of the baboons are huge (even bigger than I am). For some reason, baboons are perceived to be more aggressive towards and likely to attack women. Not sure how they can spot if a human is male or female. Anyway, I kept my distance from them.

African buffaloes in the background. People advised to avoid any eye contact with the buffaloes as they might charge you.

Kevin with the more zebras in the background as we return back

Happy to be done with biking
After Hell's Gate, we dined and camped in Fisherman's Camp by Lake Naivasha. We're so relieved and happy to finally get some food. I rarely eat burger, but I just had to get a big blue cheese burger after our ordeal. The restaurant/camp is owned by a third generation Kenyan-Swede, and it is very popular among the young tourists crowd. It's a happening place when we got there (a lot of younger kids hanging out), but we're too tired to mingle and enjoy the night. I had a good night sleep even with the noise from the other nearby campers (God knows what they were celebrating!).

There are a few wildlife in the camp - Vervet Monkeys (which happily went through the trash in the camp the next morning), Black-and-white Colobus (which the camp's resident St Bernard was chasing and which look like a skunk from afar) and several birds.

Fisherman's Camp Bar/Restaurant

Camp site at the Fisherman's Camp Ground

Black-and-white Colobus

Camp's resident St Bernard


The next morning, we decided to go to Crescent Island (which is now Crescent Peninsula) via boat through Lake Naivasha. We later learned that "Out of Africa" was filmed in the island and that most of the animals in the island where transplanted for the movie. Most of the animals in the movie remained except for the lions. The other animals would have been wiped out if the lions remained. Here we saw more sheeps, zebras, Thomson's gazelles, giraffes. We also saw: water buck, impalas, wildebeest and hippos.


Boat ride to Crescent Island

Water buck
Part of the air strip used in the movie

On top of the hill in Crescent Island

Sheeps - all I can think about is how tasty the marinated mutton in White Rhino (pub near the hotel) was when I saw the sheeps in the island


Loser wildebeest - This male was exiled from the group as it had a fight with the group's leading male wildebeest

Group of wildebeest and Masai giraffe

 Fun fact about wildebeest - according to our guide, they are also called "sparepart" animal as it is considered the last animal made by God, and it is made from "spareparts" from other animals. Its horn from the buffalo, its face from the grasshopper, its mane from the lion, its body from the hyena and its brain from sheep (since it's also considered stupid).



Impalas and Thomson's gazelles. Both are gazelles, but Thomson's gazelles have the distinctive white/black stripe on their sides. While "impala" is just another term (in Zulu) for gazelle.


Ashok, Pinaki, Kevin, Mukur, Charbak and Jit

Nadia, Paula, Vivian, Tamara, me and Dorine

Hippos - we didn't see them in the land. All the hippos were having fun submerged in the water


One of the group of birds in the Lake Naivasha

Tusker to finish the weekend trip!


Note to self after visit to Crescent Island: rewatch "Out of Africa" as it was at least twenty years ago when I last saw it.

#ibmcsc kenya 6


No comments:

Post a Comment